Psalm 8:1-2

"Oh, Lord, our Lord, how magestic is your name in all the earth!  You have set your glory above the heavens...from the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise..."

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Are my actions honoring God or the enemy?

I have a heavy heart...

I'm not a writer, just a wife and a mom that loves God, and wants to share what my heart is pounding to say...
I am a sinner, I was bought with a price by Jesus Christ, my Savior. I write this because I am concerned for the glory of His kingdom. As Christians, what is our motive for doing anything we do? I will confess, I like it when I get a compliment, especially over my children or my home. It is my FLESH, and it feels good when I get the glory. But, I was not created to receive glory, I was created and made to give praise and glory to my generous, omnipotent God who created this world, and mercifully chose me into His kingdom. I did NOTHING to deserve His beautiful grace. Nothing. No one did, except Jesus. He was and is the only one who is flawless, perfect, and deserving of our praise and glory.

God created us to bring Him glory. As the body of Christ that is what we are designed to do. Our behavior should be selfless. Again, none of us are perfect, so our praise will never be our best until we reach heaven. But that is no excuse, we are supposed to be trying our best during our time here on earth.

My heart is burdened because I see people who love Him doing and saying things that are not bringing praise and glory to our God. I know that I have been in situations that I thought I was doing the best thing for me and others around me. I thought I was doing the right thing, but wasn't. In the midst of it all it can feel good...getting attention in this world and having leadership over others is a motivating and satisfying feeling. But also fleeting. Time and time again I have felt this rush and sense of pride, and I look back and see the motive of my heart, and it was selfish. I was not thinking, "How can I build up the body of Christ in this situation?". I never stopped to think whom or what I was hurting and tearing down.

As I reflect on the recent world around me, my heart's desire for the body of Christ, is that we would put aside ourselves, our flesh, reflect on our own sin, not others, let the Lord handle the hearts of men and their consequences, and let's focus on building UP the body of Christ, not tearing it down all for the sake of seeing justice on this earth. Justice is not up to man.
Conviction is not in our hands.
God sees and knows our hearts.
Let's not hinder what He is trying to do.

I ask you to pray, as I have, for God to show you your sin and focus on seeking forgiveness for what you and I have done. It is not our job to convict the hearts of man, only the Holy Spirit. It is easy to want to throw that stone, but brothers and sisters in Christ, please focus on the ONLY one that deserves your time, Jesus.

If we keep our eyes on Him, we can let go of what the enemy is prompting our hearts to do. Because, if we don't then we are building up the wrong kingdom.

My challenge is that you would pray for God to give you His compassion where you have not felt compassion before.

Bottom line, this world is not about me, it is not about us, it is about Jesus Christ and His love for His people.
He is the only ONE who deserves our time and attention, because He deserves the glory.

Many years ago, my mom was in a Bible study in her home. The leader opened with a question that led her to salvation, and I leave you with it: "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TODAY THAT HAS COUNTED TOWARDS ETERNITY?"

1 comment:

Valarie said...

AWESOME post, Garrett! You are amazing. I love seeing pictures of your family and how much love you have for your family. I know that the love that you have for them flows out of a heart that is in love with Jesus. Your family is blessed to have you!